One of the most essential nutrients for human body is Protein. Protein is helpful for building muscle, skin as well as hormones. It also repairs cells, and maintains tissues. A diet with high protein is helpful for weight lose thereby increasing muscle mass and strength. High-protein diets raise your spirits to eat protein more as compared to fat and carbohydrates to lose weight and increase your energy. This diet also lowers blood pressure, prevents diabetes and many more.
To get more than 20% of total calories from protein a high protein diet is needed. A high protein diet contains little proteins, some refined carbohydrates, fat, and sugar. The quantity of protein one should eat totally depends on their age, gender, BMI, and activity level. An initial ratio of a high-protein diet is to take 30% of calories from protein, 40% of calories from carbohydrates, and 30% of calories from fat.
What one should eat in a high protein diet?
- Eat little protein like lean meat, low fat dairy, eggs, beans, seafood, seeds, nuts.
- Eat low glycaemic food like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Eat vegetables such as mushrooms, peppers, and leafy greens.
- Eat whole grain foods.
What one should not eat in a high protein diet?
- Don’t eat saturated fats like ghee, butter, and bacon etc.
- Don’t eat fried food.
- Don’t eat food containing extra sugar.
- Don’t eat refined carbohydrates like white rice, white bread, etc.
A high protein diet also has many advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of a high protein diet:
- Having protein in snacks and meals keeps you fuller and satisfied for longer time.
- Having protein in meals helps you in building bones, and to maintain more muscle mass.
- A high protein diet is helpful for maintaining weight or even loses weight.
Disadvantages of a high protein diet:
- Having high protein diet which contains high fat foods like full fat dairy, fatty cuts of beef, bacon, sausages, etc. are mostly associated with cancer and heart diseases.
- Too much protein is dangerous for chronic heart problem patients.
- A high protein diet often causes constipation or other health problems because it lacks fiber.
Analyzing and understanding the pros and cons of your daily diet is very essential for deciding a right diet plan for your health. Including high protein in your diet may have several benefits but there are some drawbacks too. This diet is very helpful for weight loss but it is definitely not a well-balanced diet.