For proper functioning of the body Vitamin D is vital. It is helpful for building bones and for keeping bones strong and healthy. Though from dietary sources one can get vitamin D but majority of vitamin D comes from sunlight only. Once vitamin D taken, it requires to be converted into its active form.
When the body is unable to absorb enough amount of vitamin D or the person don’t intake enough vitamin D and convert it to its active form in the kidneys and liver then vitamin D deficiency arise. With vitamin D deficiency one can suffer from diverse bone and muscles problems like rickets, osteomalacia, osteoporosis, etc.
Vitamin D Deficiency Causes:
- When anyone doesn’t consume sufficient vitamin D or don’t spend enough time in the sunlight then deficiency of vitamin D occurs.
- If anyone doesn’t eat vitamin D rich food then also its deficiency may arise.
- Certain drugs like steroids, or drugs for reducing cholesterol, decrease the body’s vitamin D absorption ability.
- The gene that activates the creation of vitamin D-3 in the body gets affected due to Smoking.
- The body’s ability of converting vitamin D into its active form gets affected when people suffer from liver and kidney disease.
Vitamin D Deficiency Symptoms:
- Mood swings
- Bone pain
- Muscle aches or cramps
Vitamin D Deficiency Treatment:
The exact requirement of vitamin D for one’s body depends on numerous factors such as age, diet, etc. If anyone is detected with deficiency of vitamin D then he or she is advised to increase their vitamin D intake. After doctor’s consultation, some people may require vitamin D supplements with proper dosage. A person having vitamin D deficiency must consume vitamin D rich foods such as cheese, cord liver oil, mushrooms, beef liver, cereals, egg yolks, soy drinks, etc.
It is always suggested to stay safe beforehand. Therefore, it is best to spend some time in sunlight daily or consume vitamin D rich foods. Though, we can get vitamin D from sunlight but excessive expose to sun may cause skin cancer. Therefore, short time sun exposure is the best. Any if you experience any of the vitamin D deficiency symptom then you should consult a doctor.
For all types of health diagnosis, book an appointment at Aloka Medicare today!